Girls and Women in Motion is excited to announce that we are recruiting mentors for our newest program: our Pen Pal Mentor Program!
Thanks to funding from Canadian Women & Sport’s WISE Fund, we are running our first-ever Pen Pal Mentor Program from October 2021 until March 2022. We’re currently looking for Volunteer Mentors to join us. Apply today!
Our Pen Pal Mentor Program has five primary focuses and goals:
- Offer a multi-week/month program to maintain continuous connections with up to 25 pairs of girls and mentors, focusing on the recruitment and representation of Black, Indigenous, and Girls and Women of Color participants.
- Highlight local role models within the GTA (especially within Scarborough)
- Work with the participants to guide program delivery
- Continue to create girl’s only opportunities
- Create a positive social environment and foster an active community.
As part of the program, 25 girls (the mentees) ages 11-14 will be matched with a mentor for the duration of the program, from October 2021 – March 2022. Each month, the pairs will exchange 1 postcard each (1 from mentor to mentee, 1 from mentee to mentor) that will have a prompt to guide the discussion for the month. In addition to this, there will also be monthly workshops/programs led by the Girls and Women in Motion (GWIM) Programs Team for 1.5 hours over Zoom. We hope to also include 1-2 in-person gatherings throughout the program, depending on the current health restrictions and guidelines in place. The goal of the program is to provide the girls with women-identified role models in sport, with a strong focus on having representation of role models from equity-deserving groups.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
As a volunteer Mentor for our 2021-2022 Pen Pal Mentor Program, the individual will be paired with the mentee from the General Toronto Area (with a strong focus on Scarborough), from October 2021 until March 2022. The Mentor’s role will include sending a minimum of one (1) postcard to the mentee per month through Canada Post, attending the monthly group meet-ups (primarily virtual, with a few possible in-person opportunities), providing monthly reports to GWIM, and participate in ongoing program evaluation.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR!
We are looking for women-identified individuals over the age of 20 who live in Toronto or the GTA that are passionate about sport, recreation, physical activity and all types of movement! You are someone who wants to inspire the next generation and change the current culture and system to be more inclusive and welcoming of girls and women, especially those of equity-deserving groups and communities. You are excited about the opportunity to mentor a younger girl and empower her to be her authentic self, have a voice, be her own type of leader, and have a passion and love for movement – whether it’s sport, fitness, recreation, dance, physical activity, etc. This opportunity sounds perfect for you because you care and know that change can happen, one girl at a time.
WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF THIS
This is a volunteer position but does have it’s perks! As one of our mentors, you will get:
- Girls and Women in Motion swag – EXCLUSIVE to this program!
- An opportunity to network with other incredible women across Toronto and the GTA
- Training from our GWIM team
- An opportunity to provide input and direction for future programs and opportunities for girls and women
- THE opportunity to create a positive influence and change in a young girl’s life – and be a ROLE MODEL!
IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU, APPLY TODAY! APPLICATIONS ARE DUE AUGUST 29TH AT 11:59 PM EST.
Questions? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org